Adieu, Fedora

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 13 04:53:58 UTC 2011

--- On Sun, 6/12/11, David <dgboles at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: David <dgboles at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Adieu, Fedora
> To: users at lists.fedoraproject.org
> Date: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 7:17 PM
> On 6/12/2011 10:06 PM, James McKenzie
> wrote:

> use than the other 'junk' out
> annoying tutorials badger
> Windows interface
> version of Windows.
> >> FUD
> > No, truth. When you run Linux for the first time, does
> it have a
> > built-in take you step by step tutorial?  I've
> never been 'badgered' by
> > one.  Remember, the key is Lowest Common
> Denominator (LCD).  If you hit
> > that, then you've pissed off the upper levels, but as
> one I just dismiss
> > it and go about my business.  This is one of
> those areas that Linux
> > desktop designers could learn from their Windows and
> MacOSX
> > counterparts.  I've been down this road before
> and I don't want the
> > flames that are coming back.  Not everyone is a
> 'genius' and not
> > everyone can understand what each icon does.
> Remember, Einstein could
> > not make change nor did he understand the monetary
> system, but he still
> > managed to buy his groceries, when they were not
> bought for him.
>

> I said FUD instead of bull$hit because Windows does not do
> what he said.

When you run it everyday and have gotten used to it, it does not bother you :)

But if you have a new installation or a reinstall to clean it up, you do see some stuff

> So what are you trying to say?
>

> --

There were several ones that appeared like

Take a tour in XP:

As you may know, when you install Windows XP on a computer, it prompts you to take the Windows XP Tour. This prompt appears as a balloon that pops up from the Windows XP Tour icon in the notification area of the taskbar. By default, the prompt appears the first three times that someone logs on to the system.

On Vista and Windows 7, there appear flags and your antivirus is out of date, you have updates ready and ...
But you see these once and can ignore them then they won't bother you :)

I would guess that what is Tom is mentioning :)

On Fedora at least some stuff appears like package kit telling you that updates are available, and other things.  But one can disable all these things bothering you and you are in charge not them :)

Regards.

Antonio