Adieu, Fedora

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 13 05:11:23 UTC 2011

> > Linux has always been the geek OS. And the directions
> have always been
> > written in Geek for Geeks.
> >
> Yes.  To grow the desktop, we need to start embracing
> the common user.
> There are a limited number of geeks and they cannot sustain
> Linux.  Not
> at a financially viable level...
>
> I would love to see the folks in Redmond squirm.
> Windows has so many
> problems that it should be banned from anywhere where
> reliability is
> key.  Go to your local hospital and see what they are
> running.  It
> scares me that they are running WindowsXP/Vista/Seven on
> the front end
> and WindowsServer on the back.  I would, from a
> security viewpoint, love
> to see this replaced with Linux and running a secure UI
> program.  This
> is easier on Linux than Windows...
>
> James McKenzie
>
> --

While I agree with your statement(s), it will not likely happen :(

Even Ubuntu has not stolen more people from windows :(

Why?  There are many people out there that play games, and for gaming no OS out there, no Crossover, wine, ..., Virtual machines out there beat windows.  Most of the games are for windows and till linux creates games that are on par with the ones that are played in windows.

I have a friend that likes the status quo.  He says that it is great that windows has all those flaws.  The virii, spyware, trojan horses, adware, ..., etc problems that windows has is what he needs to live in the terrible recession we are facing.  He fixes machines and cleans them up and this way he can take his children to McDonalds and give them happy meals :)  If more people run linux/bsd/opensolaris, then the common problems that plague windows won't exist as much and more people would be out of work and he would not be lucky to take out his family to McDonalds :(

I like to fix machines for my students and they laugh and joke around when a fake rogue virus shows up that it is scanning and I start the machine in safe mode and look for the startup folder in the user/TEMP/ApplicationData/ folders where they usually start and they see that I get a kick out of it :)  I try a bit to convince many of them to use linux and that I will install it for them for free, but they prefer windows :(, they say linux is too hard.  Only for one student I succeeded, and he does not have to do the three R's (Reboot, Retry, Reinstall ) :(   Installed Fedora 14 with LXDE dual booting windows XP home.  This way he can have the best of both worlds :)

Regards,

Antonio