Adieu, Fedora

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Mon Jun 13 06:57:00 UTC 2011

On 06/12/2011 07:54 PM, James McKenzie wrote:
> People are tired of using poor quality software written
> to a broken OS.

Say rather that most people are so used to badly written software and a
broken OS that they don't realize how bad things are; they think it's
normal.

Right now, I'm house sitting for Jerry Pournelle
(http://www.jerrypournelle.com) the BYTE columnist and SF author.  For
years he's been calling both Unix and Linux an employment program for
gurus.  Mind you, he does stuff on his Windows boxes that most "power
users" couldn't understand, but that's different; he understands DOS
commands.  I'm still trying, off and on, to get him to take another look
at Linux.  Not Fedora, Ubuntu, because if he's going to try Linux, he's
going to need a distro that's as easy to use as possible because he has
neither the time nor the inclination for the learning curve that Fedora
would require.  Still, if I can get him to see how good it is, we'll
have a vocal and highly-visible advocate on our side.  (Please note that
he's not too much of a Windows fanatic.  I think he has at least one
Linux server here, and I know he's experimented with recent Macs and had
good things to say about them.)  So getting a Good Word about Linux from
his is worth getting because there are a lot of people out there who
heed his word.

The point is, you have to match the distro to the user, not the other
way around.  If the OP isn't happy with Fedora, I hope he finds a distro
he likes better.