Adieu, Fedora

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 07:42:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 5:38 AM, Marcus D. Leech <mleech at ripnet.com> wrote:

> Yup, "man" pages aren't very friendly for newbs.  But they aren't really
> intended for that audience.
>  They're intended as handy reference documents, rather than tutorials.
> Some of them are better
>  written than others.  Unfortunately, not all software developers are
> also skilled technical writers.
>  Sad fact.  In a well-funded corporate effort, there'd be tech writers
> working alongside the developers.
>  The fact is that more competent software developers are "drawn" to the
> open-source world than
>  tech writers.

A lot of information on how to do things in linux actually comes from
lists exactly like this one!  There is a need for some simple startup
tips for the new user, and to a large extent a new user will likely
have had his/her system installed by someone else who knows how to do
the install, rather than converting from Windows themselves (though it
does happen of course) - and remember that the vast majority of
Windows users never did or ever will do an install themselves - they
buy a laptop or desktop, and hit the power button - and it all comes
to life.  If a Linux geek installs a system, be it F14, F15, or any
other, on behalf of an existing Windows user, and then gives the new
Fedora system to the user they will largely be able to work with it
with only a little help initially - they may need help with
configuring a mail client, but that would be the same for Windows
users too.

Many people would be happy with a web browser, a music player, and a
picture viewer, plus printer - after that many programs for a typical
user get much less "use time".

I think that in that instance an average Windows user confronted with
a new linux system, and shown how to login would be off and running
quite quickly - the problem arises when "something" does not work -
and in the case of Windows that is also where the user gets very stuck
and often then either calls in an expert, or tries to fix it
him/her-self - often producing a broken system that needs an expert
calling in also! Much the same for inexperienced linux users too!   I
have installed linux for friends and relatives, and remain the
"expert" helping hand for when things go wrong. For a Windows system
there is always the fallback to take the machine down to the local
PCworld or similar where technicians will try to fix the machine or
re-install the system - that commercial route is not usually available
to linux noobs.

However there are wiki pages for linux, as well as the Fedora lists
and similar and are a superb and valuable resource, and also some very
excellent help written on dedicated web pages (such as the kde web
pages) - and although we often grumble when something is broken in
linux, and specifically Fedora, we are actually in a very fortunate
position that we have bugzilla to which not only other users respond,
but also developers - it may take time but usually there is a solution
in the end - and we always have to remember that we are riding the
cutting edge! Quite often linux experts provide wonderful levels of
direct help and advice on Fedora lists and similar.  Show me rapid
fixed with an interactive dialogue with the reporter? It doesn't!

So despite the Fedora issues with systemd, and gnome3, currently -
these are being worked on - and although it may take a release cycle
to fix some of the issues we are actually still the best in the
business, so let's not forget our real position.

--
mike c