Adieu, Fedora

les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Mon Jun 13 16:17:34 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 20:04 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
> el...
>
> I would love to see the folks in Redmond squirm.  Windows has so many
> problems that it should be banned from anywhere where reliability is
> key.  Go to your local hospital and see what they are running.  It
> scares me that they are running WindowsXP/Vista/Seven on the front end
> and WindowsServer on the back.  I would, from a security viewpoint, love
> to see this replaced with Linux and running a secure UI program.  This
> is easier on Linux than Windows...
>
> James McKenzie
Not only do I agree with this, but I recently purchased a new laptop for
work.  It came with Windows 7 Home Premium.  I then began bringing up
the utilities for my work.  The first one took two days to get working.
The second took 3 weeks, and I ended up having to go to the top version
of windows 7, an additional 100+US$.  I haven't upgraded to F15 yet, but
the other tools I use on a daily basis are all installed and working,
and the reload time to get everything going on F14 was 8 hours, not
counting the download time.  If you add the download time and the
upgrade time over DSL, it took a total of 23.5 hours.  I routinely use
over 30 applications on Linux, and only 6 on windows.  So guess which I
prefer.

	My Linux systems are still the best in my work, in my hobbies, and only
fall short in gaming, but mostly I haven't looked up any Linux gaming
sites, because I only really like one game, Age of Empires III, which I
play on Windows by dual booting my computer.

Regards,
Les H