git patch comments

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Mon Jun 13 16:52:24 UTC 2011

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 10:32:59 -0500,
>   Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:
>>
>> I double checked the patches and indeed they are formatted as:
>>
>> line 1
>> line 2
>> line 3
>>
>> Testing the following formatting of:
>>
>> line 1
>>
>> line 2
>> line 3
>>
>> results in the expected formatting. Slightly annoying behavior but
>> easily worked around. Thanks.
>
> The lines before the first blank line are the subject. You need to
> have that blank line if you add other comments.

Indeed.  And if line1, line2 and line3 represent different changes,
they properly belong in seperate commits.  Since git lets you commit
locally and it's incredibly fast, the old habits of pushing multiple
disparate changes in one commit is a habit that should go away.

Git even makes it pretty easy to make a small series of changes to
various files, then add them as individual commits using 'git add -p'
and 'git rebase', among other methods.

There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is
striking at the root.
    -- Henry David Thoreau