Adieu, Fedora

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 13 19:32:08 UTC 2011

On Mon June 13 2011, Marcus D. Leech wrote:

> Well sure.  But let's not go down the path of lobotomizing it to the
> point where it has achieved
>    "glorified typewriter" status.  Which is, I'm afraid, where most
> people's mindset is about computers
>    in general, and Windows in particular.
>
> If we make the system so stupid that it can't be used for further
> development of  the system, then we've
>    failed gloriously.
>
> It should never reach the point that the Fedora developer feels tempted
> to "reach for something else", because
>    the system he's developing for is inadequate for the task of
> developing.

No, I would not advocate "lobotomizing" linux either. I just think it would
be extremely helpful if we had  something similar to the "tour" that XP
takes you on (if you let it) when you first install. Not to mention the
"helper" that comes up when you're installing it and finishing the
configuration.

I just think we need some "n00b" tools to help ease new users into Linux
that advanced users can ignore or at least tell to "go away." I mean, can
you imagine handing some random person on the street a laptop with Fedora
installed and saying "here you go... " Most of them would probably have no
idea what to do.