Still some mysteie about FC15

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 20:29:53 UTC 2011

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:14:56 -0500, AK wrote:

> Well I was on vacation so I only installed FC15 today.
> And some strange tings occurred.
> 1, The wiki pages on systemd say that chkconfig --less
> does not work. That is not true. I know its a wiki and I can make
> changes. Well maybe sometime.

--less? Do you mean --list? If so, the latter really isn't accurate.
It even warns about that:

Note: This output shows SysV services only and does not include native
      systemd services. SysV configuration data might be overridden by native
      systemd configuration.

> 2. The method for making the cursor's focus become active when you move
> the cursor onto a window is well hidden. Why should that be. As far as I
> can find the only  way to do that is to install gconf-editor and change
> /apps/metacity/general/focus_mode from clean to sloppy. That is not too
> obvious. Does anyone  know another way to do it?

Not yet.

$ gconftool-2 --set -t bool /apps/metacity/general/auto_raise true
$ gconftool-2 --set -t int /apps/metacity/general/auto_raise_delay 700
$ gconftool-2 --set -t string /apps/metacity/general/focus_mode mouse
  (defaults to "click")

> 3. Someone needs to give the  Gnome3 people a lesson on instructional
> videos. They go too fast so the use of workspaces and lining up 2 widows
> next to each other  are still a mystery. Does anyone have better
> explanation of these topics.

I click'n'hold a window's title bar and move the mouse pointer against the
screen's left or right border. The 50% area the window will take, if I
release the mouse button, is displayed on the screen with a blue overlay.

> 4. Why are things like gnotes not installed by default?

"gnote"? Can't answer that. Probably it isn't integrated well with the GNOME Shell yet.