Default browser problem -

Tim Evans tkevans at tkevans.com
Mon Jun 13 21:00:17 UTC 2011

>>> Something's seriously broken and changing the default apps just doesn't
>>> work consistently. This applies throughout the Gnome3 shell. You need
>>> to edit ~/.thunderbird/yourprofile/ and edit mimeTypes.rdf:
>>>
>>> Find and edit the stanzas referencing firefox. The should be for http,
>>> https, and ftp.
>>>

>> As I noted in the other thread on this topic, this did not resolve my
>> problem. Matter of fact, my laptop running F15 using the very same rdf
>> file fails to open any browser from Thunderbird

> Same problem here, only on F14 with Tbird 5 beta 1.

As an additional data point (I think the "something's seriously broken"
statement has some truth to it), I removed Chrome altogether from my
system, leaving FireFox as the only browser.  After re-starting
Thunderbird, clicking on links in it does nothing at all--FireFox is not
invoked.

Thunderbird's error console reports:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure
code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)
[nsIExternalProtocolService.loadUrl]"  nsresult: "0x80004005
(NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame ::
chrome://communicator/content/contentAreaClick.js :: openLinkExternally
:: line 188"  data: no]

Don't understand this completely, but it seems clear it tried to open
Chrome.

Re-installing Chrome reverts to previously reported behavior--all links
in Thunderbird open Chrome, not FireFox.

--
Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc.	|   5 Chestnut Court
UNIX System Admin Consulting	|   Owings Mills, MD 21117
http://www.come-here.com/News/	|   tkevans at tkevans.com