weird behaviour of gnome-terminal in xfce or LXDE sessions

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 07:52:58 UTC 2011

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 08:18:29 +0200
Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:

> On 06/14/2011 07:57 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 10:38 PM, Joachim Backes
> > <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:
> >> After choosing xfce or LXDE as my favorite desktop and logging in
> >> and then starting gnome-terminal, I see a weird effect:
> >> gnome-terminal is popped up in a normal size, but then the width
> >> shrinks automatically and slowly to about the half width. How to
> >> get rid of this behaviour? This happens even width freshly created
> >> users.
> >>
> >> All comments are welcome.
> >>

> > gnome-terminal is a Gnome3 app. I would expect it to be GTK3.
>
> Yes (ldd!)
>
> > Whereas
> > XFCE is not GTK3. In fact AFAIK the XFCE spin actively tries to stay
> > away from GTK3 apps. Maybe this has something to do with your
> > problem?
>
> Maybe.
>
> But are such important apps restricted to some desktop type?

Valid argument.

> > I find the terminal emulator included with XFCE (terminal) equally
> > functional. Actually I even find the defaults more sensible to my
> > tastes. Is there any reason you prefer gnome-terminal?
>
> My standard session type is gnome3, where I'm using gnome-terminal as
> my standard terminal. The reason for the usage of xfce or lxde were
> test purposes only.

XFCE has its own session manager (xfce4-session). But I think XFCE also
allows you to use Gnome's session manager (in Gnome 2, not sure if that
is the case now). In any case, it seems you have everything under
control. Hope my comments were of some help.

> Kind regards

PS: You forgot to CC the list.

--
Suvayu