Still some mysteries about FC15

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jun 14 10:15:12 UTC 2011

On 06/14/2011 06:05 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Mike Williams wrote:
>
>> I don't have f15, yet...  does chkconfig --list still output the SysV
>> services?
> It seems to, as far as I can see.
>
> Conversely, does "systemctl -t service" list all SysV services?
> And is this the recommended command to list services now?
>
> The output seems to me fuller but in a much less convenient form
> than "chkconfig --list".

And somewhat confusing too.....

Take sshd and sendmail as an example.  Both are SysV services and show
up this way when chkconfig is run....

sendmail        0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
sshd                0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

But when you run systemctl they show up thus....

sendmail.service          loaded active exited      LSB: start and stop
sendmail
sshd.service              loaded active running     LSB: Start up the
OpenSSH server daemon

Now, why does sendmail say "exited" and sshd say "running"?   Both are
up and responding....

When I see "exited" I think "finished" as in "terminated" as in "not
running".  But, clearly it is....