Still some mysteie about FC15

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 13:38:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 08:15:45 -0500, AK wrote:

> In the section headed "Does chkconfig command work with systemd?
>
> The last line says: chkconfig --list doesn't list systemd services,
> which is a slightly more obscure statement. Are not services like sshd
> services systemd services. I suspect from the warning that is produuces
> when it is run there is at least one class of systemd services that
> chkconfig --list will not report on.
>
> Could you clarify the meaning of the warning produced when it is run?

Compare the output with e.g.

  systemctl -t service --all

sshd and similar services [still] ship System V/LSB compatible init scripts,
whereas systemd knows about services beyond that, which are not accessible
with chkconfig.

There are also a few incompatibilities between chkconfig --list and/or --level
and systemd. http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/chkconfig
For example,

# runlevel
N 5
# chkconfig sshd on
# chkconfig --level 5 sshd off
# reboot

and systemd will start sshd nevertheless. A "chkconfig sshd off" would
have disabled the service for all runlevels, and systemd would have
accepted that.