Adieu, Fedora

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Jun 14 20:34:48 UTC 2011

On 06/14/2011 01:06 PM, Marcus D. Leech wrote:
>     USB front, there are also instances of devices claiming compliance
> with the standard protocols, but in fact, lying.  Which means that
>     the standard USB "UAC-1" and "UAC-2" class drivers in Linux are
> *doomed*  to malfunction in certain ways, because they're being
>     lied to by the hardware.

In some cases, it's worse than that.  As you probably know, when you
hook up a flash drive under Windows, it shows it in My Computer, named
by the drive's label if it has one.  In Linux, it shows up on the
desktop, named for its brand, even if it has a label.  I asked about
this on the USB dev's list and they told me that when the drive's
detected, the software tells the system everything and it's up to the
DE's devs to fix this.

I mounted a drive that I know had a label, then ran:

dmesg | grep USB

and saw that the detection software was not, in fact, reporting the
label.  I posted this to the list, and was told in no uncertain terms to
"shut up and go away!"  I think it's fair to say that in this case, not
only didn't they know about the problem, they didn't want to know; they
just wanted to point their finger at Somebody Else, and pretend that it
wasn't their responsibility.  If this is their attitude when the
hardware's known to respond correctly if queried, it's not hard to
imagine how they're going to respond in cases like what you're describing.

And, in case any of you are wondering, I would have hoped that their
response to my second post was more along the lines of, "Oh, I guess it
isn't reporting the label.  We'll have to look into that one of these days."