[SPAM] Re: Adieu, Fedora

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Tue Jun 14 21:53:13 UTC 2011

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011, Michael Ekstrand wrote:

>> that's a very good idea... and maybe put a shortcut on the desktop to
>> it...labeled "documentation" or something similar.
>
> I can see "Documentation" being intimidating for new users.  A "Tour"
> could potentially be much friendlier.  It also has the potential to be
> scripted in concert with the shell, so it can e.g. highlight the
> Activities hotspot when discussing it rather than just showing
> screenshots.  Possibly have two versions: one for new users (fresh
> install, clean home directory) and one for upgraders (first run of new
> version in existing home dir).

 	FWIW, as someone who's been upgrading Fedora since FC1, one of the
things that does get lost in the noise is just exactly what is
functionally different between versions.  Yes, there's plenty of "Change
Logs" and "New Features" and "Gee, this is really cool" readme's, but they
don't give any practical "type this, click that," info on the functional
changes.  Having a simple doc or web page for the changes would be a
helpful thing, IMO.

Joe

--
"And if I claim to be a wise man, well, it surly means that I don't know."
                         -- Kansas, "Carry on Wayward Son"