Adieu, Fedora

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 22:17:11 UTC 2011

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 23:56:17 +0200
Timothy Murphy wrote:

> So in this case at least it was Linux 10, Windows 0.

My new Dell Zino HTPC is a mixed bag. I have yet to
discover any way to get sound to come out the HDMI
connection on Fedora, so that makes it just a tad
useless as a home theatre box :-).

On the other hand, the video drivers default settings
were horrible on Windows 7. I spent a good week or
two discovering how to get ATI to stop protecting me
from the "overscan problem" that no LCD display actually
has.

And even though I can get sound on Windows 7, the
Windows Media Center software has no way to adjust
audio/video sync, so there is about a 400 millisecond
offset (I don't know if it is the HDMI audio, the TV,
or what).

I can run the Windows build of mplayer/smplayer and
get the sync adjusted, but I can't seem to get the
media center remote to control smplayer, so I have
a choice of watching properly synced videos or
being able to use the remote.