Adieu, Fedora

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 22:53:35 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
>> In any case, since you didn't say which desktop environment you are
>> using, it is hard to know what your problem is.  If I attach a flash
>> drive with a FAT32 filesystem with a label, the label is used for the
>> mount point and the desktop icon (on my F13/GNOME system).
>
> The problem continued to exist when I went to F14, and is still there
> now that I've switched to XFCE.  My main complaint isn't that it doesn't
> work, it's that the USB devs refused to even admit that their software
> wasn't reporting the label, even when presented with evidence directly
> contradicting their claim.  Yes, it's up to the DE to make use of the
> label but claiming that it's reported when it is not, isn't the best way
> to go, IMO.

Are you sure its not a problem with your setup or hardware itself? It
works for me here. When I mount my USB external HDD or USB flash
drive, they are mounted as /media/<partition_label>/ and shortcuts are
placed on my desktop. This is with F14 and F15 (XFCE). As far as I
recall, this has worked ever since I can recall (that would be
sometime around F10).

--
Suvayu