After logging out in gnome3 or xfce, I still see some of the user's processes

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jun 15 12:25:51 UTC 2011

Joe Zeff:
>> I don't know about Gnome3, but under XFCE wallpapoz survives a logout.
>> I've mentioned it to the author, but he doesn't think it's that
>> important because "most people don't log out and in."

Mike Williams:
> That's careless coding, I'll avoid that package.  Sometimes when I log
> out its because I'm doing something that takes lots of memory on a
> machine that doesn't have enough RAM to finish without logging out of
> X to free up some memory.

That sort of thing's been a problem for a very long time, ever since I
started playing with Linux.  You can log out and find some things still
running in your name, that haven't quit, and have no reason to still be
around (it's not as if you started up some services that you wanted to
run in your name, and stay running after you logged out).

e.g. Several instances of gvfs-fuse-daemon, crashed mplayers, gconfd-2,
firefox (that requires a reboot to kill, not even kill -9 will kill it),
bash...

Nor is it as if it's just one things that hangs around and will get
re-used when you next log-in.  As you log in and out, these things
accumulate.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686