Adieu, Fedora

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Wed Jun 15 17:03:22 UTC 2011

On 06/15/2011 04:14 PM, Tim wrote:
> Things have probably improved since I last tried (still on Fedora 9,
> here).  But my point was with a GUIfied system, one that's being touted
> as the bees knees, and doesn't require geek/guru status to use,
> everything should be do-able through the GUI, and the GUI should be
> self-documenting.  If one has to resort to the command line, or even
> additional instructions, then the GUI design has failed.

I see you snipped out all the text where I described how I figured out how todo
this using only the GUI in a couple of minutes on f15. Smooth.

Please give it a try once you have updated to a release that has been supported
some time in recent history. I hope that it will be to your liking.

> The last time I tried to do this with a DOS/FAT formatted drive, I had
> to figure out how to assign a drive letter to the drive, before I could
> use the DOS commands to apply a drive label (because those commands
> could only make use of DOS drive letters, rather than Linux device
> names).

Huh?!?

> I miss the way this was handled back on my Amiga.  In the root of a disc
> partition (or whole disk), was placed a disc.info file.  Not only did it
> hold various bits of info about the disc (the same as file .info files
> did for their associated files or directories), it could also hold the
> icon image.  Giving any disc a custom icon was simply a matter of
> putting a file into its root directory.

Yeah I miss my Amigas too but the fact is that Commodore's leadership ensured
that the platform was going to die out a long, long time ago. These days I have
much more fun with my Linux boxes.

Regards,
Bryn.