Special Characters

Petrus de Calguarium pgueckel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 17:19:00 UTC 2011

Roelof 'Ben' Kusters wrote:

> I'm using the US English keyboard, and am so used to that, I don't want to
> change the layout.

I type a lot in German and French and I also use the US 104-key generic layout.
In systemsettings/input devices/keyboard/layouts, you can select US-
international with dead keys (sometimes called acentos).

This works great! You have exactly the same keys as are shown on the keyboard,
with the added enhancement that diacritical marks actually work the way they
are supposed to, ie., they wait until you type a letter after typing them
before displaying the accented character on the screen. If you want to type the
diacritical mark by itself, which occurs mostly with the apostrophe or the
quotation mark, you type alt-diacritical mark. There is no relearning involved.
It all works naturally and the way it is supposed to.