kindly send your suggestion for the Event of Linux at Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Wed Jun 15 18:24:49 UTC 2011

On 06/15/2011 10:54 AM, Navdeep Singh Sidhu wrote:
> If anybody want to help us with their ideas , they can share their
> precious ideas with us and suggest us for this event. We are very
> thankful to you for your help & support.

I like to show friends who've never seen Linux in action the Desktop
Cube, especially as I have Compiz set to show the open windows floating
above the cube instead of resting on the surface.  And, I always have
one window extending from one desktop to another, both to show how that
works and to show it folded when I activate the Cube.  Everybody I've
shown it to was Very Impressed, even a friend who's a compulsive Windows
fanboi.  I also explain that this is Linux only and will probably never
be ported to Windows because nobody who's capable of doing it is the
slightest bit interested.  It's a great, highly-visible way of showing
people just what Linux is capable of in a way that's much more
impressive than showing them programs that look (almost) the same as
their Windows equivalents.  (People aren't going to consider changing if
all they're going to get is the same functionality they already have;
you have to offer them something they can't get any other way.)

I don't know if you're old enough to remember the old Amiga bouncing
ball demo.  Like the Cube, it was eye-candy and nothing else, but it was
also something that the PCs of the time couldn't match, and that's all
that mattered.  Getting people interested in trying Linux isn't a matter
of persuading them by logic, you have to capture their imaginations.

As a last thought, you can also explain that these computers are hooked
up to the Internet without any anti-virus, anti-malware or anti-adware
programs installed because they don't need them and that you'll probably
never need to defrag because Linux doesn't get fragmented like Windows does.