Possible to turn off NetworkManager?

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at frii.com
Wed Jun 15 20:59:45 UTC 2011

In the past (fedora-8, fedora-11), I have always turned
off the NetworkManager service, leaving just the network
service running and configured by network (which are wired
and seldom change) by editing configuration files or using
a little network config tool (forgot what its executable
name was).

In Fedora 15 when I turn off NetworkManager service
(systemctl disable NetworkManager.service) and turn on
the network service and reboot, I get all sorts of dire
messages in syslog [*], and I have no network connectivity.

I would like to turn off services that don't offer any
useful (to me, at least I think) functionality, like
NetworkManager.  Is this still possible in Fedora-15/systemd?

[*] For example:
Jun 11 10:50:43 soga dbus-daemon: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status' for details.