systemd discussion

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Wed Jun 15 21:09:08 UTC 2011

On 06/15/2011 03:39 PM, JB wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there is a very interesting discussion on Fedora devel list:
>
> systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)   Denys Vlasenko
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-June/152323.html
>
> The poster, Denys Vlasenko, showed an inquiring mind and justified it by asking
> very relevant UNIX fundamental and technical questions, thus showing he is
> a very knowledgeable person.
>
> I share his concerns about systemd:
> - going beyond system init replacement
> - not adhering to UNIX principles (modularity, etc)
> - interference with sysadmin duties/decisions to set up the system (e.g.
>
> To Denys:
> Drill, baby, drill :-)
>
> There are people on test and user lists who are afraid to even touch F15 ...
> and the reasons are systemd, GNOME 3, etc. Things called "progress" ...
>
> I follow the discussion with great interest and so should you all.
>
> JB

Both systemd and gnome 3 have caused me no end of trouble that I have
had a lot of fun in managing to overcome (just like dracut did back
when).  In doing so, I have learned a lot more about the kernel, boot
processes, various startup processes, gnome and workflow.

Reminds of my card walloping days and the transition to computers.  Some
made the transition to computer programming easily, some tried to wallop
cards on computers and became frustrated and quit and some just quit
without trying.

All this said, I am beginning to believe Fedora is more and more an
experiment in social engineering.

I am having a lot of fun.

--
Regards,