A clarification of Fedora philosophy.

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 15 21:37:24 UTC 2011

> On 06/15/2011 05:14 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > But first don't you mean gconf-editor rather than dconf-editor? The
> > latter when installed does not show up in the menus of Gnome3 and seems
> > to me rather obscure to use. At least I can't figure out how to use it.
>
> dconf / gsettings is the replacement for gconf in GNOME 3.  So I do mean
> dconf-editor

Now I am really confused. Both gconf-editor and dconf-editor come up
with the alias Configuration Editor, so I assume only one of them can
show up in the menu of applications. dconf-editor does not show up even
if gconf is not installed.. gsettings wants schema to be named.
gconf-editor has schema displayed . dconf-editor does not.

In gconf-editor Under desktop->gnome there are 13 items for
configuration. In dconf-editor in the same place there are only two
which are limited in the parameters one can set.

Only a very minimal set of keys can be displayed to be manipulated in
dconf-editor. The ones that gconf-editor shows that actually control
things like mice and windows focus I can not find in dconf-editor.

What am I missing?
> > So if gnome-tweak-tool is useful (I first heard of it from your post)
> > why not include it in the distribution to make configuration of Gnome3
> > easier for the user?
>
> Many useful tools are not installed by default for various reason.
> Essentially what is in the default installation in the desktop,  is the
> decision of the desktop team members.  If you want to ask them,  post to
> the desktop mailing list in Fedora
>
> Rahul

I understand that the desktop team controls what is installed with the
desktop. I was hoping you had some clue you would share with me what is
the overall philosophy that decides inclusion. But I guess I will have
to ask them.

I don't want people to love me. It makes for obligations. -- Jean
Anouilh
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net