systemd discussion

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 22:06:21 UTC 2011

Clyde E. Kunkel <clydekunkel7734 <at> cox.net> writes:

> All this said, I am beginning to believe Fedora is more and more an
> experiment in social engineering.

That's a well-chosen remark :-)
"Social engineering is the art of manipulating people into performing
actions...".

I think it also applies to open source domain activities.
I have had an impression over the years that users, but also ad hoc developers,
are used very instrumentally ("guinea pigs" ?) as users, testers, and devs, in
the process of furthering goals of open source projects or companies.

I see a dichotomy between e.g. open source companies' interests and those of
larger community, be it other open source organizations or even a mass of
individuals.

I am also surprised (have been for long time) by seeing Linux projects violating
UNIX principles of software development.
In this particular context, I am disappointed that they, apparently, lack
oversight by management, starting with the design phase.

Thanks god there are still those old timers all over the places, who are vigilant
and capable of spotting brewing trouble, unfortunately almost after the fact.

JB