How do I point a mail client at Microsoft outlook?

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Wed Jun 15 22:32:08 UTC 2011

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 17:16:58 -0500 (CDT)
Michael Hennebry wrote:

> For work, I have had to use Microsoft outlook for e-mail.
> I'd like to be able to get at it through either
> KMail or evolution on my home F13 machine.
> I've tried to set up both without success.
> That I've never used a mail client before probably doesn't help.

Microsoft Outlook IS a mail client.

If you want to receive mail from a mail server (such as sendmail, postfix or,
in the Microsoft world, Microsoft Exchange) then you can use Microsoft Outlook
or any of a huge number of mail clients on Linux such as Kmail, Evolution, or
my personal favourite, Sylpheed, to pick up mail from the mail server.

If you want to transfer existing email from your Microsoft Outlook datafiles to
a different mail client that isn't Microsoft Outlook, that's a different
question.  It's my current understanding that you can use Thunderbird on
Windows to import a pst file and then import from that into Evolution or,
possibly, Sylpheed.

If you want to be able to use both Microsoft Outlook and a Linux mail client in
tandem, i.e. check and respond to your email from both systems, then you will
require a mail server that supports the imap protocol.  Depending on who
provides your email service (your isp, usually) this capability may or may not
be provided.