How do I point a mail client at Microsoft outlook?

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Wed Jun 15 23:24:34 UTC 2011

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 17:44 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, Frank Cox wrote:

>>> Microsoft Outlook IS a mail client.

Apparently the correct term is exchange,
a term not used in the migration information we were given.

>>> If you want to be able to use both Microsoft Outlook and a Linux mail client in
>>> tandem, i.e. check and respond to your email from both systems, then you will
>>> require a mail server that supports the imap protocol.  Depending on who
>>> provides your email service (your isp, usually) this capability may or may not
>>> be provided.
>>
>> Ouch.  I'm pretty sure it's POP.
>
> Then you're laughing. Any of the Linux mail clients can read POP as long
> as you know how to authenticate to the server.

That leaves the blanks I need to fill in.
>From migration information given to Mac users,
I gather at least part of one answer is red001.mail.microsoftonline.com .
If so, is that incoming server, outgoing server or something else.

"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.
Optimist:   The glass is half full.