How do I point a mail client at Microsoft outlook?

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Thu Jun 16 02:47:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 17:39 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> Alas, I expect not.  We are rapidly becoming a Windows-only shop.
>> I have my doubts they actually know.
>> I'm pretty sure Microsoft has the actual mail.
>> Supposing they do know, neither evolution nor
>> KMail is on their list of approved clients.
>> How should I phrase the question to avoid explicitly mentioning a client?
>
> Ask them how to access your mail from your smartphone. If you don't have
> one just pretend you're evaluating which one to get.

Thank you for that suggestion.
It turns out that they have just that information on their website.
I was wrong about POP:
     * Account type: IMAP
     * Incoming mail server: imap.ndsu.nodak.edu
     * Incoming mail server encryption: SSL on port 993
     * Outgoing mail server: smtp.ndsu.nodak.edu
     * Outgoing mail server encryption: TLS on port 587
     * Username: Your NDSU Electronic ID
     * Password: Your NDSU Password

That said, I still can't do it.
evolution tells me
evolution-mail-Message: Error occurred while existing dialogue active:
Could not connect to imap.ndsu.nodak.edu: Connection timed out

"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.
Optimist:   The glass is half full.