systemd discussion

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jun 16 02:48:51 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 01:00 +0000, JB wrote:
> Now, I think that Fedora (thru its Red Hat sponsorship) is acting "by
> ambush" - that is, there is very little consideration for opinion
> expressed by users *prior* to schedule of new major features
> (projects) to be implemented in next release.
> It is assumed that what Red Hat thinks is good for them, Fedora, and
> by simple extrapolation it must be for everybody associated with
> Fedora (formally or not).
> That's why I said the users and testers are treated instrumentally.

It's clear that we (on this user-list) are users, beta testers, and
guinea pigs.  And we have little function beyond finding and reporting
bugs, and explaining what we've found out to others asking questions
about how to do things.

On the developer lists are people with more input into how things will
be done, with more potential to influence changes.

But how individual projects are managed is external, and upstream.
i.e. How we get Gnome, KDE, Apache, OpenOffice, et cetera, implemented
are handled by those individual project groups.

As ever, the advice is, "if you don't like it, get involved in the
appropriate groups, or use something different."  Which means, join the
developers (some projects will be programmers only, others may have a
conglomeration of designers and programmers).  And can either mean
switching from Gnome to something else, or from Fedora to something
else.  It's always been that way; use what's pre-built, or make your
own.

And, as ever, some projects go off on tangents so wild that they're
unacceptable to people.  And projects will live and die by that.  If
they piss off their users that they abandon it in droves, it'll die off,
and something else becomes the new fad (e.g. we've gone from Netscape to
Firefox, as the main browser; and sound has gone from OSS to ALSA to
PulseAudio).  Or it may change direction again, and people might like
the new change.

I'm one of those who're not keen on the incredible change in system
requirements with the recent changes to KDE and Gnome.  It's almost
Windows-like in having computer staggering under the burden of a
behemoth desktop, when I bought hardware I expect to be used by the
applications, with the support system meant to be quietly in the
background.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686