systemd discussion

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Thu Jun 16 03:15:16 UTC 2011

On 06/15/2011 04:19 PM, 夜神 岩男 wrote:
> This sort of
> developer often can't tell you who Fred Brooks, Eric Raymond, Donald
> Knuth, Ken Thompson, or anyone similar are

And let's not forget the sane genius, Daniel J. Alderson.  JPL is still
using his programs to navigate space probes 25 years after his death,
but except for a few SF fans, nobody's ever heard of him.  We've all
heard about people who could write FORTRAN in any language, but Dan was
the only person I ever knew who could write PL/1 programs in FORTRAN.
He also knew how to turn off array bounds checking and do pointer
arithmetic in FORTRAN by addressing an array out of bounds.  I know; I
helped him do it back in the early '80s.