Special Characters

Petrus de Calguarium pgueckel at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 04:52:05 UTC 2011

Tim wrote:

> Ever more, the need for the standard QWERTY keyboard (and its ilk) to be
> abandoned has increased.  It's inadequate for anything more than primary
> school beginner's English.

I've always wanted a keyboard that has the letters arranged in order. It
makes no sense for me, and likely 95% of other computer users, to have querty
or other unnatural key arrangements. I realize that they are based on
character frequency in English, which serve only stenographers who:

type with all 10 fingers, instead of picking with 2-3 fingers, like most
people do; and

write in only one language

Your suggestion of having extra keys for diactical and punctuation marks and
symbols is definitely a good one. It would be difficult to standardize all of
this to accommodate all languages, but to standardize it for all languages
that use the Roman alphabet and Arabic numerals, like most European languages
do, should not be that difficult. I wish manufacturers would put some thought
into this.