Special Characters

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Thu Jun 16 06:18:56 UTC 2011

To:             	users at lists.fedoraproject.org
From:           	Petrus de Calguarium <pgueckel at gmail.com>
Subject:        	Re: Special Characters
Date sent:      	Wed, 15 Jun 2011 22:52:05 -0600
Send reply to:  	Community support for Fedora users
<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
	<mailto:users-
request at lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=unsubscribe>
	<mailto:users-
request at lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=subscribe>

> Tim wrote:
>
> > Ever more, the need for the standard QWERTY keyboard (and its ilk) to be
> > abandoned has increased.  It's inadequate for anything more than primary
> > school beginner's English.
>
> I've always wanted a keyboard that has the letters arranged in order. It
> makes no sense for me, and likely 95% of other computer users, to have querty
> or other unnatural key arrangements. I realize that they are based on
> character frequency in English, which serve only stenographers who:

Dvoark keyboard was designed for most keys used.
The QWERTY was designed to not jam as much with the old
mechanical typewriters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard

> type with all 10 fingers, instead of picking with 2-3 fingers, like most
> people do; and
>
> write in only one language
>
> Your suggestion of having extra keys for diactical and punctuation marks and
> symbols is definitely a good one. It would be difficult to standardize all of
> this to accommodate all languages, but to standardize it for all languages
> that use the Roman alphabet and Arabic numerals, like most European languages
> do, should not be that difficult. I wish manufacturers would put some thought
> into this.
>
> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI        10885800.113634   |   EINSTEIN     6027290.210851
ROSETTA      3252689.139248   |   ABC          6355184.399625