Network printer detection from wifi client to print-server->router

Daniele Guerrieri d.guerrieri at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 12:46:30 UTC 2011

Hi,
this is my first post on the list; i have a simple question.

I have a usb printer attached to a router which works also as print
server (ip: 192.168.0.50, call this 'print server router');
this print server router is wire linked with another router (using RIP
version 1, for both in and out), which is the gateway to internet, a
router, a dhcp server, and also a wifi access point (192.168.0.1, call
this 'main router').

I've got also:
 a) PC 1, eth linked to the main router;
b) PC2, wifi linked to the main router.

So:
when i searched the network printer (using system-config-printer) in
the PC1, it worked very well and quickly found my samsung printer;
when i searched the network printer in the PC2, it couldn't find
anything: but after several trials i found that putting 192.168.0.50
(which is the
ip of the print server router) in the textarea host field in the
system-config-printer->find network printer GUI, the printer was
immediately found and worked very well.

The question is: why do I have to put the ip address in the host field
on the gui when configuring the network printer from PC2 (wifi), when
PC1 (ethernet) doesn't need it?
Maybe there is some conf of Avahi that could be changed?

Thanks,
Daniele Guerrieri