Does fedora 15 supports latest hardware ?

Mark Eggers mdeggers at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 15:30:59 UTC 2011

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 09:44:23 +0200, Alexander Volovics wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:35:24PM +0530, Navdeep Singh Sidhu wrote:
>
>> Fedora 15 doesn't works on my Laptop. So i have a question, Does it
>> supports latest Hardware?
>> Like
>> 2nd Generation i7 Quad core 2720QM 2.20GHz Boost upto 3.30 GHz Dual
>> Graphics Card- Intel HD graphics 3000 & 2 GB nVIDIA Geforce GT 540m
>> Graphics card
>> 8GB RAM Dual Channel 1333 MHz DDR3
>> Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 with Bluetooth v3.0+HS wireless card
>> Dell XPS L502X Direct Base Mother board
>
> Depending on what your expectations are with regard to the hybrid
> graphics. You might be wise to look into, for example, the posts on:
> http://forum.notebookreview.com/linux-compatibility-software/473915-no-
support-nvidia-optimus-linux.html
> Or those in the Lenovo forums.
>
> Alexander

Note, this is probably an Optimus issue. NVidia does not support Optimus
with its Linux drivers.

If your laptop is using Optimus, then there are several solutions.

If your BIOS allows it, disable the Intel graphics and only rely on the
NVidia GPU. This will probably drastically shorten your battery life.

Go visit the NVidia Linux forums at www.nvnews.net/vbulletin. Someone has
put together a software solution that appears to work. Do a search on
Optimus in the NVIDIA Linux forum.

I don't remember if anyone has tried this with Gnome 3 or Fedora 15.

Again, this is Linux NVidia driver versus hardware issue, and not really
a Linux (or Fedora) issue.

. . . . just my two cents.

/mde/