How do I point a mail client at Microsoft outlook?

Mike Williams dmikewilliams at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 03:18:22 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Michael Hennebry
<hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2011, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 12:11 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>>> Alas still no go.
>>> Now it asks me for a password, but it won't take it.

You probably have something set wrong on your end.  Double check the
server names, ports, and authentication.

If you can't get Evolution to play, try Thunderbird.  With either
program, you will have to enter your password at least once and you
have the option of having the client remember the password so you do
not have to enter it every time.

At my school we switched to microsoft for email a while ago and there
are two ways that I know of that work.

The approach I took, since I do not care for outlook and I like gmail,
was to use the web access to login to my email MS account and setup
forwarding, so that all of my school email gets forwarded to my gmail
account.  Gmail will let you set your account up so that you can use
your school email address as the from address for messages that you
send (you can also use the gmail address as the from address - there's
a dropdown list to select the address).

If you don't want use gmail then Thunderbird will work.  A professor
that I work for uses Thunderbird on his home system and it works fine.
 As was mentioned in the discussion about Evolution you have to make
sure you check the box for TLS and get the server settings right.

One nice thing about using Thunderbird is that your messages get
downloaded to your system so you can still get to the downloaded
messages if your internet connection goes down, or if you use a laptop
and are somewhere with no access.  When I had a dodgy ISP at home I
used to use Thunderbird to download my gmail messages.

Whichever way you wind up resolving this, once you get it working be
sure your email client is set to leave the messages on the server.
I'm not sure about this, but deleting messages on the server after
they are downloaded may be the default.

Good luck,

Mike