32bit cardbus card hangs fedora during boot

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 07:09:37 UTC 2011

On 06/17/2011 12:03 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/17/2011 02:29 PM, JD wrote:
>> My old laptop lacks usb2.0 ports.
>> So I bought a Syba pcmcia card with 3 usb 2.0 ports and
>> an eSATA port (for my external drive).
>>
>> The boot hangs when it detects the presence of the card.
>> I have another card from some other manufacturer (card
>> is not branded) with only eSATA ports, and it does
>> not hang the system at all.
>>
>> Not sure how to grab enough information to open a bug.
>> When the system hangs, I lose all comm with the system,
>> and I have to reboot.
>>
> What happens if you insert the card after the system is already up and
> running?
If I insert the good card, the card is recognized,
and I can hot plug the external drive into the esata port
and all is well.

The Syba card freezes the system whether I plug it in
before or after boot.
To be fair to Syba, they gave me an RMA and I returned
it for an exchange. Will know in 2 weeks what the replacement
card will do.