systemd discussion

Louis Lagendijk louis at lagendijk.xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 17 17:41:37 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 18:13 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:

> Of course, at the moment, some of that speed may be because it
> isn't actually doing everything (like getting NFS filesystems mounted).
But it does. Even with traditional network setup, just add
comment=systemd.automount  to the mount options in fstab. Ok, it will
delay setup quite a bit as it will still have to wait for the network to
become available
this is what "systemd-analyze blame" says on my system (trimmed to just
the first few lines):

 bash-4.2$ systemd-analyze blame
 47844ms netfs.service
 47419ms home-home1.mount
 47416ms ntpdate.service
 41649ms sendmail.service
  6765ms udev-settle.service
  2773ms cups.service
  2644ms network.service
  1682ms lvm2-monitor.service
   977ms fedora-storage-init.service
   678ms fedora-storage-init-late.service

It apparently takes > 45 seconds to establish network connections (on my
3Com switch with VLANs)
So in total my system takes 78 seconds to boot, including mounting of
NFS4 file systems.
With the systemd automount stanza, I see the first mount fail, but then
it gets retried later. I have been too lazy to try to improve boot
times. I am glad the system starts correctly
Louis