Java Gnome 3 maximized window mouse bugs

Mark Eggers mdeggers at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 21:56:17 UTC 2011

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 16:44:44 -0400, Ricardo Veguilla wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> As you know swing is not perfect,
>> just overlaid on awt. (despite import javax.Swing) and it may be that
>> you need Oracles JDk, to get all the classes you need,
>> have you checked the same apps on a Win Box?
>>
> Frank, I know you are trying to help, but I'm pretty sure the bug is not
> in the apps.
> Like you said, if the problem is swing/awt, then its the
> openjdk/oraclejdk not the app.
>
> I first noticed the problem on Fedora 14 while trying gnome-shell.
> Switched back to standard gnome and the problem went away.
>
> It does not happen in any other platform. I work regularly on Windows,
> Ubuntu (havent try it on Unity yet), Fedora pre-gnome3, Mac Os X without
> any problem.  In addition, the problem happens using both Oracle JDK and
> OpenJDK.

My environment:

CPU:     2.6 GHz P4
Memory:  1.5 GB
Video:   7600 GS (overclocked)
Driver:  275.09.07 (from NVidia)
JDK/JRE: 1.6.0_26 (from Oracle)
OS:      Fedora 15 fully updated

I normally don't run my Java application windows maximized, so I've
not observed this. For fun, I started up Netbeans 6.9.1 and maximized
the window.

Here's what I observed under Gnome 3.

In both Nimbus and the GTK look and feel, horizontal mouse pointer
positioning is off visually to the right. This means that if you click
on the Edit main menu in Netbeans, the Edit menu will flash briefly,
and then the File menu will open.

If you're careful about where you place the mouse pointer, you can
actually get the right menu to open. This appears to be a fixed width
issue. For example, when I use Nimbus LAF to run Netbeans, I can put
the mouse pointer in between the Edit and View menu items and get the
Edit menu to appear (and stick). If I place the mouse pointer on the
"w" of the View menu item, then I can get the View menu to appear (and
stick).

This horizontal positioning problem does not happen when I unmaximize
the window.

Vertical positioning seems to be fine.

GTK look and feel is now quite bad. I am missing menu borders and
separators. If i don't use "hinting medium" in my local fonts.conf,
the fonts are very thin. I know this has been addressed on the mailing
list before, but the solution results in very blocky fonts (especially
bolded fonts) when using GTK applications under KDE. However, that's
another story.

In short, the way I have found that works best for me:

1. Run Nimbus look and feel wherever possible. GTK look and feel is
currently broken.

2. Do not run maximized windows

Also, if you're using an NVidia card, upgrade to the latest (from
NVidia) driver. 275.09.07 solved a lot of KDE and Java with opengl
pipeline issues for me.

. . . . just my two cents.

/mde/