Again: the Nvidia driver does not work with Gnome 3

Alexander Volovics a.volovic at upcmail.nl
Fri Jun 17 22:25:51 UTC 2011

A couple of weeks ago I posted a mail specifying a problem
I had with the Nvidia driver under Fed15/Gnome3.

Using either kmod-nvidia or akmod-nvidia from Rpmfusion the
driver installs OK, the necessary modeset=0 and rdblacklist
are added to the kernel line in grub.conf and an xorg.conf file
added to /etc/X11.

The boot process continues up to the login screen. I can login
and the Gnome desktop appears. But then the screen freezes!
(mouse and keyboard keep working). I can do nothing.
Only Ctrl-Alt-F2 and shutdown.

I have installed and worked with the Nvidia drivers without
problems under Fed15/KDE and Fed15/LXDE using the Rpmfusion
drivers. So the problem is specific to Fed15/Gnome3/Selinux.

Nvidia is recently issued new drivers so I tried it again.
No luck. Exactly the same problem occurs: a frozen Gnome 3
desktop.

I really would like a solution to this problem because the
nouveau driver is not up to the task of running Gnome 3.
And this time there is some responsibility for Fedora/Gnome
because Gnome 3 requires 3D hardware acceleration and the
nouveau driver can't provide it sufficiently yet.

I would appreciate hearing from Fed15/Gnome3 users who
(maybe) have the same graphics card: Geforce 7300 LE in
a Dell Dimension E520 and have also experienced (and maybe
solved) this problem.
Suggestions on how to solve the problem (if possible) are
also welcome.

Alexander