Two elementary questions on LANs

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Jun 18 10:33:11 UTC 2011

Ed Greshko wrote:

>> I'm probably in a minority of 1, but I don't think applications
>> should edit config files without telling you.
>
> Ahh....  The application, NM, isn't editing a config file without your
> knowledge.  First, the DNS servers are one setting that is supplied in a
> DHCP request/response.  Second, in the setup of NM you can check a box
> telling it to ignore what DHCP says and supply the information
> manually.  That manual information is kept in the
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-XXX files.

Just to be clear: dhcp wasn't running at the point I am talking about.
NM did delete the nameserver information in /etc/resolv.conf .
I saw then that one can go to NM's Manage Connections
and specify the nameservers one wants to use.
When I did that the nameservers remained in /etc/resolv.conf

So it seems to me reasonable to say that NM _was_ editing a config file
without my knowledge.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net