Again: the Nvidia driver does not work with Gnome 3

Alexander Volovics a.volovic at upcmail.nl
Sun Jun 19 13:05:58 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 10:56:31AM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 06/18/2011 06:25 AM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> > I would appreciate hearing from Fed15/Gnome3 users who
> > (maybe) have the same graphics card: Geforce 7300 LE in
> > a Dell Dimension E520 and have also experienced (and maybe
> > solved) this problem.
> > Suggestions on how to solve the problem (if possible) are
> > also welcome.

> Well, I don't have the same card as you....  I've a GeForce GT 230.
> But, I would always get a hard freeze in KDE (and GNOME) whenever I
> started google-earth.  I've just finished installing the latest
> 275.09.07 driver from nVidia and the freeze has been resolved.
> I can now check the 3D box for the display on my Vbox Fedora VM and run
> GNOME 3 in the VM.  Previously the VM would crash when starting GNOME.

> Of course nVidia driver problems should be reported on their forums.  :-)

So they should.

But I find it just a TINY bit exasperating that Gnome 3 has been
be foisted on the world when it is known that the drivers necessary
to appreciate it are not available and won't be available soon
(nouveau/radeon). And that the interaction of Gnome 3 with the
proprietary drivers hasn't been checked (so that you can still
run Gnome 3 if nouveau/radeon does not work or works badly).

I am getting just a little bit too old to chase after every
problem. I now want things to just work :-)

Alexander