Again: the Nvidia driver does not work with Gnome 3

Alexander Volovics a.volovic at upcmail.nl
Sun Jun 19 14:24:29 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 09:26:21PM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> Well, I ran GNOME 3 just fine with my GT 230 and nouveau.   So, I don't
> know what to make of your earlier post that said Gnome 3 requires HW
> acceleration or that it wasn't up to the task of running GNOME 3.

Well Gnome 3 does require 3D hardware acceleration.

And the nouveau driver IS slow when performing the normal graphics
switches. You could live with that if you are a masochist but a real
show stopper are the random freezes when nothing works anymore and you
have to reboot.

I am certainly not the only one complaining. There have been more
complaints from Fed15/Gnome3 users and you only have to look around
(Arch Linux forums, Ubuntu forums, etc.) to see similar remarks.

It could be that the Nvidia NV40 familie is especially affected.
Nouveau is not at the same level on all Nvidia chips.
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix

> If you have problems with the drivers supplied by Fedora then of course
> they would appreciate your filing a bugzilla if one isn't already open.

Hardly necessary as nouveau 3D is still a work in progress.

Alexander