5-star Fedora experience

Mark LaPierre marklapier at aol.com
Sun Jun 19 15:03:32 UTC 2011

On 06/19/2011 08:36 AM, Gary Waters wrote:
> The gOS kiddie linux ( yes, I know I'm gonna get hell for that ) based
> on ubuntu 8.4 which was installed on my mother's laptop, gagged on some
> update which came in and crashed the x-server. I was already fed up
> about listening to complaints about poor performance, pidgin certificate
> error messages with her MSN account, and other issues. I decided it was
> time to try Fedora again. Previously no fedora releases would work on
> her crappy acer notebook because of the obscure SIS graphics chipset.
> gOS, now defunct, did work and seemed perfect for a 73 year old granny
> who just got her first computer and was too paranoid to use windows for
> online banking ( sometimes reading "internet for dummies" is NOT a good
> thing. :-)
>
> I downloaded the 32-bit Fedora 15 XFCE live cd, ran it, noticed there
> were no oscillating yellow lines going down the LCD screen and installed
> to hard drive. There is a God! My 75 year old mother loves it! She keep
> IM'ing thank yous. It was 100% compatible with her SIS craphics, the
> wifi strength is now well into the 90% range instead of the 60% range,
> and pidgin is the latest version ( I couldn't get it updated on that 3
> year old gOS instllation ).
>
> She raves about the ease of use. She raves about how she prefers the
> fonts. She is stunned by the speed, and positively loves the layout. I
> let her take a look at gnome 3 on my computer and she went "how cool."
> In any case, she was right. I downloaded the XFCE 64-bit live CD and
> installed to my notebook. It is very decent indeed.
>
> I just wanted to post something other than "doom&gloom" for a change. ;-)
>
> GW

I've been a satisfied Linux user since the days when you had to install
it from a set of floppy disks because CDs hadn't been invented yet.

I generally run one release back from the bleeding edge.  Now that F15
is out I'm running F14.  That way I can avoid almost all of the teething
pains of the new releases.  By the time I've moved on to the next
release the problems have been found and fixed.

It took me a while to replace all my legacy Windows applications all
those years ago, but that was then.  Today there are mature applications
available, both FOSS and commercial, to suit almost any task you might
have at hand.  Sorry guys but I'm not a FOSS snob.  It just happens that
my favorite OS is FOSS.

For those occasional Widows dependent situations there's KVM built in.
I install Widows as an application in KVM so that I can just restart the
VM when ever Windows goes south, as it frequently does, without blowing
out my entire Linux system.

--
    °v°
   /(_)\
    ^ ^  Mark LaPierre
Registerd Linux user No #267004
www.counter.li.org
****
In a free world without fences, who needs gates.
**
Help Microsoft stamp out piracy - give Linux to a friend today.
**
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it.
To mess up an MS Windows box, you just need to *look* at it.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****