How do I point a mail client at Microsoft outlook?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jun 19 17:14:50 UTC 2011

Tim:
>> But why?  One of the main points of scripting is automation.

Ranjan Maitra:
> Yes, but then it gets hardcoded in your .fetchmailrc file in plain
> text. Is that desirable?

Who else gets to see *your* .fetchmailrc file?  In the normal run of
things, these days, your homespace isn't accessible to other users,
neither are the files in it.  If it is, then you've got plenty of other
security concerns to worry about.

And if you're not using an encrypted connection, your password is
(often) transmitted in clear text, anyway.  That's far more susceptible
to snooping than a file stored on your computer.  Likewise with various
other /rather dumb/ authentication protocols.

> I would rather have it prompt for the few times I have to initiate the
> process....

Well, as I said, try it and see what happens.  Also, search through the
fetchmail man file for any mention of password, to see what it tells you
about it.  This is from an old man file, I expect the current release
would be similar:

      "The default behavior of fetchmail is to prompt you for your
mailserver password before the connection is established.  This is the
safest way to use fetchmail and ensures that your password will not be
compromised.  You may also specify your password in your ~/.fetchmailrc
file.  This is convenient when using fetchmail in daemon mode or with
scripts."

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686