5-star Fedora experience

Gary Waters linuxnutster at videotron.ca
Sun Jun 19 17:22:21 UTC 2011

On 06/19/2011 11:55 AM, Jayson Rowe wrote:
>> I downloaded the XFCE 64-bit live CD and
>> installed to my notebook. It is very decent indeed.
>>
>> I just wanted to post something other than "doom&gloom" for a change. ;-)
>>
>> GW
>
> Awesome story! I never tried the gOS disto, but I'm glad she's digging
> Fedora. "How Cool" was my reaction to GNOME 3 - I think the ideas and
> principles are awesome, but I'm the Fedora XFCE spin as well as it
> suits the way I interact with my computer better, and I love it!

The huge google gadgets icons in gOS provided enough esthetique "bait"
to switch her over from windows, which she used for several months. She
has the ol' family arthritis and knee problems and was having trouble
getting to the bank. I suggested online banking. She bit untiol she
started reading about viruses, keyloggers, etc... That's when I
suggested Linux.

Strangely enough, I believe she was easy to convert to Linux so easily
because she had not spent YEARS using windows. I noticed she's spending
a lot of time in the "games" section. I made sure enough goodies were
check-marked. :-)

The funny part was her gOS croaked at 11:15 PM thursday night. I was in
the shower and my wife was asleep. Suddenly my wife walks into the
bathroom, half comatose. "Your mom can't log in."

Dear mother let the phone right about 30 times until she got a response.
Welcome to the 21st century. :-)

GW