Again: the Nvidia driver does not work with Gnome 3

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Jun 19 20:58:10 UTC 2011

On 06/19/2011 10:24 PM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 09:26:21PM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> Well, I ran GNOME 3 just fine with my GT 230 and nouveau.   So, I don't
>> know what to make of your earlier post that said Gnome 3 requires HW
>> acceleration or that it wasn't up to the task of running GNOME 3.
> Well Gnome 3 does require 3D hardware acceleration.

If you say so....

> And the nouveau driver IS slow when performing the normal graphics
> switches. You could live with that if you are a masochist but a real
> show stopper are the random freezes when nothing works anymore and you
> have to reboot.

It was not slow on my system.  I'd invite you over to see for yourself,
but maybe the airfare is a bit steep.

Also, no freezing here....  Never had to reboot.

> I am certainly not the only one complaining. There have been more
> complaints from Fed15/Gnome3 users and you only have to look around
> (Arch Linux forums, Ubuntu forums, etc.) to see similar remarks.

I am sure you are having a problem.   Just don't try to tell me that I'm
having the same problems.

> It could be that the Nvidia NV40 familie is especially affected.
> Nouveau is not at the same level on all Nvidia chips.
> http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix

Of course not....  Which is why I'm using the nVidia drivers as I've
said.  I'm just saying that if not for the Vbox glitch I would have
stuck with nouveau to be a nice FOSS citizen.  :-)
>> If you have problems with the drivers supplied by Fedora then of course
>> they would appreciate your filing a bugzilla if one isn't already open.
> Hardly necessary as nouveau 3D is still a work in progress.

I have a different philosophy.  The more people write bug reports, even
if they are working on something, the better.  Even adding yourself to
cc's adds weight.  But that's just me.