5-star Fedora experience

Rikke D. Giles rgiles at centurytel.net
Mon Jun 20 00:32:04 UTC 2011

On 06/19/2011 05:36:21 AM, Gary Waters wrote:

<snip>

> I downloaded the 32-bit Fedora 15 XFCE live cd, ran it, noticed there
> were no oscillating yellow lines going down the LCD screen and
> installed  to hard drive. There is a God! My 75 year old mother loves
> it!

Years ago, I watched Revolution OS with my Mom and Dad.  I was
President or VP of the local linux users group and I wanted my parents
to see what I was doing.  Must've been about 2001, 2002.  Anyway, my
Mom had not had a computer up until then.  She saw the movie and
insisted on having a computer, and having Linux on that computer.
She was and still is totally taken with the ideas behind FOSS and
wanted to support it as much as she could.  So we got her a laptop from
Linux Certified. It does exactly what she wants and she never has to
worry about catching a virus, blue screens, screwing it up, or anything
else.  Yes, I have to be her sysadmin for major upgrades, but I would
have to do that if she were running Windows as well.

Dad appreciated all the ideas behind FOSS and agrees with most of them,
but has confessed to being too lazy to want to learn a new OS.  He
designed some of the first ICs ever made by AMD and completely swore
off computers when he retired in the early 80's, but was entranced back
by Zork I on my very early Toshiba laptop (late 80's).  Anyway, he's
still a Gateswear user, for now.

Rikke