How do I point a mail client at Microsoft outlook?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 20 10:24:12 UTC 2011

Tim:
>> Who else gets to see *your* .fetchmailrc file?  In the normal run of
>> things, these days, your homespace isn't accessible to other users,
>> neither are the files in it.  If it is, then you've got plenty of other
>> security concerns to worry about.

Ranjan Maitra:
> I guess I worry that there is always the chance that the account
> may be broken into and compromised.....

Is that any more likely than /them/ breaking into your mail account?

I think that someone being able to break into your account would
probably expose far more for you to worry about than just the
fetchmailrc file with passwords in it.

Information cached by your web browser...  Passwords stored in other
locations, even if seemingly encrypted (some encryption techniques are
just useless)...  The ability of them to install something to snoop on
you...

> I use ssl. Not sure if that takes into account your concerns, but in
> any case, the one-time transmittal (in clear text if so, though
> doubtful) seems to me may be a tad bit less worrisome than passwords
> (assuredly clear-text) in an omnipresent .fetchmailrc.

Assuming that passwords are sent through SSL, then they couldn't easily
be snooped on.  Though various secure mail and messaging systems aren't
always as secure as some people think.  Such as logon being secure, but
not the actual message transmission.  So as soon as you get some email
that confirms some of your logon credentials, or credit card details, or
anything else you want kept confidential, by writing those details into
the message, they're exposed.

Anything that's not encrypted requires no effort to copy.  They don't
have to hack into your account, all they have to do is listen to the
traffic.

And then there's:  Maybe they can hack into the mail server, rather than
your computer.

>> Well, as I said, try it and see what happens.

> Not clear how this pertains to my response.

In that you wondered whether you could omit the password, and whether it
would prompt.  A simple experiment would have given you the answer.

The same could be said about many queries on this mailing list.  And
you'd know the answer straight away.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686