Chrome asks for Gnome Keyring password????

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 12:30:44 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 06:38 -0400, John Aldrich wrote:
> Why does Google Chrome want my Gnome Keyring password? I don't use Gnome. I
> use KDE/Openbox. It *only* happens when I'm accessing my computer from
> remote using VNC, though. It does NOT happen when I'm accessing my computer
> from the local console.
>
> Don't know if that gives a hint as to why it's trying to open the Gnome
> keyring, but I thought I ought to mention it.

Chrome is a Gnome app. So is Firefox. So is Thunderbird. The fact that
you're using KDE is irrelevant. The apps use the Gnome libraries and the
Gnome keyring.

As to why it only happens with VNC, I've no idea. Do you mean it happens
with each new VNC session, or with each new instance of Chrome? I use
Evolution under KDE and have to go through *two* password checks when
starting it in a new (local) login session, but within the session I can
stop and restart Evo with no further checks.

(BTW with F14 it used to be just one check. This is progress?)

poc