howto read from serial port?

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Mon Jun 20 15:45:02 UTC 2011

Hi all,

This sure feels like a blast from the past :)

I'm trying to figure out how to use com ports to communicate between two
fedora boxes.

I've figured out how to set the flow rate (stty /dev/ttyS0 115200) and
to send data:  I have an 80k text file that I "cat textfile >
/dev/ttyS0" and by measuring the TX pin I see the voltage change from
-11.34v to +4.4v for about 10 seconds.  Seems to be working.

The problem comes on the other end of the wire.  The receiving machine
is connected by a "null modem" cable.  It seems that standard
redirection should work but I can't figure out the proper shell syntax.

Input should listen to /dev/ttyS0 and whenever something is received be
sent to /dev/stdout.

Any takers?  Should be fun ;D

Thanx,
Mike Wright