Chrome asks for Gnome Keyring password????

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 20 19:54:01 UTC 2011

On Mon June 20 2011, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> Chrome is a Gnome app. So is Firefox. So is Thunderbird. The fact that
> you're using KDE is irrelevant. The apps use the Gnome libraries and the
> Gnome keyring.
>
> As to why it only happens with VNC, I've no idea. Do you mean it happens
> with each new VNC session, or with each new instance of Chrome? I use
> Evolution under KDE and have to go through *two* password checks when
> starting it in a new (local) login session, but within the session I can
> stop and restart Evo with no further checks.
>
> (BTW with F14 it used to be just one check. This is progress?)

Ahh... I did not know that Chrome was a Gnome app. It appears that I can
close and restart Chrome within the same session and not get prompted. When
I go home and start Chrome on the local console, it does not prompt me for
a password, but the next day when I log in from remote (SSH tunnel still
going from the previous session) it will prompt me for a password again.

Basically the steps to reproduce are as follows:
1) Log in from remote -- password request
2) Close programs, close viewer, go home.
3) Start Chrome on the local console -- NO password request
4) Go to work, log in from remote, password request.

Almost like logging in on the local console is clearing a "cookie" or
something.